EMC World is almost here, and I’ve been spending a bit of effort figuring out how my time there would be best spent, and think I’ve got my schedule more or less worked out (there are only a couple double-bookings (and one triple-booking) remaining).
Working out my schedule details was originally an exercise purely intended for my own benefit. Having everything in my calendar app will keep me on track once I’m embroiled in the full-on organized chaos that tech conferences tend to be. However, a conversation with Matt Brender (@mjbrender) convinced me that others might be interested as well (and that I might want people to be able to find me), so following his example, I’ve decided to share mine here.
First, a disclaimer. Just like how no carefully-contrived battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy, I recognize that no carefully-planned schedule survives arrival on-site at a tech conference. Despite that, I still wouldn’t want to go into either endeavor without a plan.
So, if you’d like to meet up at EMC World, your best bet is to actually contact me directly (Twitter or email work best, but a comment on this post would also work). If you want to try the “be where Dave is likely to be” method, what follows is where I’m likely to be. If you want to know where I am for sure at any given moment, I’ll likely be live-tweeting the entire conference, so simply follow my Twitter feed.
All days and times listed are local Las Vegas time. Schedule subject to change without notice. Your mileage may vary. Do not attempt. Dave is a trained professional using all proper safety equipment. Yes, I know there are conflicts in the schedule. Terms and conditions may apply.
Dave’s EMC World 2013 Schedule
Here’s where I’m most likely to be found at given times. At any given time not specifically listed the places I’m most likely to be found are:
- During Conference Hours
- The Blogger Space
- The EMC Elect Space
- The Hands-On Lab
- The Solutions Pavillion
- The Partner Lounge
- Outside of Conference Hours
- Dinner or other gathering with friends and colleagues
- A poker table
- Trying to catch up on work
- Writing blog posts
- (least likely) Actually sleeping
Sunday will definitely be my lightest day at the conference. The plan looks more or less like this:
- 16:30 – Arrive Las Vegas airport
- Check in to hotel
- Go to the Venetian to check in for EMC World while the lines are short (the Registration Desk is open from 15:00 to 20:00)
- Go to dinner with my colleagues from Accunet Solutions (@AccunetSolution)
- Scout out poker tables and/or find old friends to connect with
EMC World officially starts with the 2nd Annual Global Partner Summit (GPS). I missed the first one since I was working a booth last year, so I’m very interested in seeing what will be happening here.
- 8:30 – GPS Kick-off Session
- 11:00 – GPS Global Alliances and Service Provider Keynote
As a provider of EMC-related services, I’m very interested in this.
- 12:30 – Lunch with my fellow EMC Elect
It will be great to meet the other Elect in person.
- 12:30 – EMC Community Network (ECN) Community Manager Summit
I usually only interact with my fellow Community Managers online; it will be great to get some time together.
- 13:30 – GPS Americas Solution Provider Breakout Sessions
- 17:30 – Software-Defined Storage
I’ll that this is one of the topics I’m the most curious about…
- 18:30 – Grand Opening Reception in the Solutions Pavillion
- 20:00 – EMC Unified Storage Division invite-only Poker Tournament
(I’m very psyched that I managed to score an invite to this event.)
- 20:00 – EMC Partner-Exclusive Reception
EMC World kicks into full swing. I anticipate going non-stop all day.
- 10:00 – VNX Family Update
- 13:00 – VSPEX Birds-of-a-Feather Session
- 14:30 – Pat Gelsinger’s Software-Defined Datacenter Session
- 14:30 – Meetup on [REDACTED]
- 16:00 – Isilon OneFS, an Insider’s Peek Under the Covers
- 17:00 – Meet with EMC Syncplicity folks
- 17:30 – EMC XtemIO: Revolutionizing Applications
- 19:00 – EMC Elect pre-Party
- 20:00 – EMC Community (ECN) Appreciation Event
- 20:00 – EMC Momentum Party
Another very busy day.
- 7:00 – Breakfast meeting
- 8:05 – EMC TV live interview spot
- 8:30 – Introduction to EMC XtermSW Cache
- 10:00 – VPLEX and RecoverPoint: What’s New in 2013
- 11:30 – Software-Defined Storage: True Storage Virtualization
- 15:00 – Engineers Unplugged Whiteboard Video Recording Session
I got invited back!
- 20:00 – Customer Appreciation Party
Final day of EMC World. The last chance to meet with some of the folks attending.
- 8:05 – EMC TV live interview spot
- 11:30 – Software-Defined Storage: Limitless Innovation for Application Owners and Developers
Want to Meet?
If you’re like to get together, at the moment it looks like Thursday offers the most options. Reach out!